Saturday, January 12, 2013

Christmas 2012

Each year Christmas with kids gets more and more fun. Hannah gets it more and more each year. She’s so easily pleased and has genuine excitement. She’s not greedy. I had been planting in her mind that she wanted a kitchen for Christmas. When she sat on Santa’s lap she asked for a kitchen. When she returned to me I said, “What did you tell Santa you wanted?” She responded with the biggest smile on her face, “Mom, I asked for a kitchen, but he gave me a candy cane!” That could have been her whole Christmas and she would have been so happy. When does that change? When does Christmas become a chore? I hope never. Right now I love to spoil my kids with cheer, and activities, and presents.

I started out the season with 24 days of Christmas. Hannah got to open one present a day until Christmas. I loved doing this because it brought excitement to each day and helped me organize all the activities I wanted to do throughout the month. Most things were activities. Some were little gifts. Others toys we already had that she had forgotten about. In our 24 days of Christmas we went to Salt Lake to see the lights, rode the Lindon Polar Express, made cookies, went shopping for family members, etc.

IMG_1067

Because we knew we’d be out of town for Christmas, we had a mini celebration a few days before we left with my parents.

IMG_1083IMG_1085IMG_1092IMG_1086IMG_1094

We were going to California for Christmas and planned on leaving the Friday before Christmas. Earlier in the week, Jonathan decided he wanted to leave on Wednesday so we could go to the BYU Bowl game in San Diego on Thursday. So we packed up early and headed out. We stayed the night in St. George and Thursday afternoon dropped the kids off at his sister’s house. The Bowl game was really fun. We had fabulous seats (5th row, 50 yard line) and the game got especially fun in the 4th quarter. It’s always more fun when you win.

379996_10100713534572969_721108278_n

After the game we went back to his sisters to get the kids then headed to his parents. It made for a very long day (got up at 4:45 am and got to his parents around 1 am) but a very fun day. We spent the next week going to the beach, playing at the park, seeing the space shuttle and enjoying Christmas with family.

IMG_1100IMG_1105IMG_1102IMG_1108

IMG_1116

IMG_1123

IMG_1192IMG_1193IMG_1196IMG_1198IMG_1208

IMG_1117IMG_1121

Christmas morning was pretty laid back. The oldest grandchild there was not quite 3 so while she and Hannah knew it was Christmas, and knew Santa had come, they were fine to eat breakfast and hang out upstairs until the adults were ready.

IMG_1126

IMG_1138IMG_1139IMG_1149IMG_1160IMG_1165IMG_1175

IMG_1238

Everyone got what they asked for and then some. The big gifts were a kitchen for Hannah (delivered on New Year’s Day back at our house), a freezer for me (delivered 2 weeks before Christmas…more on this in a minute), and a tablet for Jonathan (not yet ordered – he got one, wasn’t here before we left, then decided he wanted a different one…so we’re in the process of returning and ordering again). I guess we actually kind of struggled to pull off Christmas ON Christmas this year. Jackson didn’t get 1 big thing…but lots of little toys that currently Hannah enjoys more than he does.

We headed back home to the cold on Thursday but finished up the weekend in St. George. Once we got home we were surprised to find out that two more of Jonathan’s siblings were in town. One of the families stayed with us for a few nights and we all went to a basketball game together.

IMG_1240

227757_10100726781351319_195314323_n

I am sad that Christmas is over. Now it is just cold and icy and there isn’t much to look forward to. I loved having Jonathan not at work for 2 weeks. I could get used to that. Now it’s back to normal day living…which is pretty good too.

Oh, I have had job of stocking my new freezer.

About that – when did I transition from wanting fun things for myself to wanting things that make my family life easier? And when did I become such a cook? In college I did dinner group. This stressed me out beyond belief because I didn’t know how to cook. I would go to my mom’s house and get a casserole from her, slice up some bread and take all the credit. Now, I plan my meals out a month in advance and am always trying new recipes. This also means my new wants are all kitchen related. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve loved all my kitchen gifts I’ve gotten over the past few years…I just am surprised that these are my new wants. But, I’ve wanted a freezer for a while now. Like I said, I plan out my meals a month in advance now…many of which I had been wanting to make in advance when I do my one big shopping day but just didn’t have space to freeze them. So, I am thrilled to finally have plenty of room to store all my bulk purchases and freezer meals. It’s not full yet, but I think I’ve gotten a good start on it this past week.  So far I have 14 meals, about 30 pounds of cheese, 5 loaves of bread, over 100 sticks of butter, 4 pounds of bacon, a gallon of ice cream, 4 pizzas, and a hundred otter pops.

IMG_1285

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have so much to say about this. Your kids are SOOO cute. I love them so much. So impressed by your 24 presents of Christmas. I haven't seen those Christmas clothes of H&J, really cute dress. Like that dad is sporting jeans & a tie too. Is that Santa Mexican? I guess thats what you get in so cal. I reallllly hope I follow your footsteps. We were the same in college with dinner groups and stressed out about cooking but I am still in that phase. Its a new resolution though, to cook- I want to one day have an extra freezer and have 100 bars of butter too.

Michael said...

How fun that you saw the space shuttle. I have never done that but would like to. And went to the beach. Did Hannah or Jack try to beat up the waves with a stick? I missed you on Christmas but you are right, that it is fun with little kids. Can I piggy back on you for food storage. I know where to go when the comet comes. We just disconnected our freezer.

Unknown said...

Jackson needs a square face on the right side of your blog

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

I'm so glad you blogged this. I loved seeing all the pics. How cute are Hannah and her little cousin in the jammies on Christmas morning?!! Love H's pig tails.

That is the fakest looking Santa I've ever seen. Talk about eyebrows not matching the rest of your hair!! Cute that H was thrilled with a candy cane though.

Made props on all the cooking and freezer. That's a lot of food storage and butter you got goin' on! I feel like all four of us sisters are suddenly way more into cooking these days. Must be that we have growing children...except Lisa. I feel like if I didn't have kids and still worked I would still never cook.

Glad you had a good Christmas. I missed you.

DC Diva said...

You know what's great about commenting late? You get to read all the other comments and LOL! We are FUNNY.

I disagree w/ Lisa... Dad w/ a tie and jeans is horrible! Ugh, hate that look.

I love your kids so much. Wish we could have spent Christmas with your family.

Way to go on the freezer supply. Very impressive. Very cool. So organized. You are Mom.

And yes, WHAT is going on w/ that Santa??