Friday, September 3, 2010

Long Nights

Hannah’s latest trick is that she rolls over.  She’s been doing it for a while now.  She can only go over the left shoulder from her back to her tummy.  Lately, she’s getting better at getting her arm unstuck. 
 
The first time she rolled over I was so excited for her but nervous for nighttime.  What if she rolled over while sleeping?  She would get stuck and suffocate.  That meant Hannah was demoted back to her parents’ bedroom where we could keep a closer eye on her.  I felt like it was the first week again.  I was paranoid.  And to make it even worse, we didn’t swaddle her.  She was kicking and stirring and waking herself (and me) up all night long.   My sister Wendy assured me that although she could roll over, Hannah would not be able to roll over while swaddled.  Without the use of her arms to get her momentum going, she would be stuck on her back.
 
Not the case…Hannah, ONCE, rolled over in the swaddle.  Luckily it was in the morning as she was waking up so I was right there to flip her back. 

I couldn’t handle having her back in my room so she was moved back to the crib, swaddled, with the bumpers removed.  Hannah went a few weeks without rolling over while swaddled.  Good – her rolling over in the swaddle was just a one time thing.

Wrong.  It’s normal to find that Hannah has moved while sleeping.
2010-06-29 Hannah moves when she sleepsIMG_1919
 
But the first time I found her like this during a nap…
IMG_2037

She was still alive.  She wasn’t crying.  She was peacefully sleeping.  What can you do?  Nothing.  Now, it’s totally normal to get Hannah from her crib and find her on her tummy.

Typically, if she rolls WHILE sleeping, she’s fine.  The problem comes when she rolls before totally asleep.  Then she knows she’s on her tummy and she cries and gets herself all worked up.  At night, this is especially difficult.  We want her to fall asleep on her own and not rely on us rocking her to sleep.  But, as shown in the video, what do you do when she’s ALMOST asleep, you put her in the crib, and she rolls?
 

I guess just keep loving this face…
IMG_1907

10 comments:

Cory & Alli said...

What a cutie! We had similar problems, so I used a sleep positioner ($10) until Sadie was more mobile.

Bethany Sines said...

i love that smiley face of hers!!! the way you write cracks me up. i can just hear you through the words. : )

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Oh my word! I love the first and last pictures so much!!! What a cute little face and smile. She is one strong baby. Linc didn't roll consistently till like 5 months old.

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness! She is quite the roller!! haha. That video was torture. haha. But that last picture. Holey moley she is adorable!! I can't wait to meet her:)

mike said...

I would cry too if I was in a straight jacket. Lose the mummy bag.

Love Dad

Mom said...

Oh Hannah what a roller you are! I like the idea about using a sleep positioner.

Lisa Weiler said...

UGGGH i love the last pict of her :)

Brianne said...

That was the cutest, funniest video ever. Oh the joy. I can't believe she was good during the football game! Logan hated loud noises.

DC Diva said...

Oh my! What a little roller. Serious gymnast. Yeah, maybe you do want to try a sleep positioner. I thought they sounded like such a waste.. but in your case, it may do the trick. She's determined and I can see your frustration! I love the picture w/ her leg stuck in the crib. Interesting that you put her down horizontally in her crib... why? So she has more rolling room? And the burp rags under her head. That brings back such memories of AB. Is Hannah a major spit up baby? We don't have to use them w/ Max! :)

Meantime, that smile and HAIR (!!!) is still do die for. We have GOT to get these babies all together!!!

Sarah Gessel said...

Ali Snow- Your baby cakes is going to probably roll forever. Hannah baby, don´t startle your mama. I thought about Russia the other day. Guatemala is way warmer than Russia.

from Merilee via email