Thursday, April 26, 2012

Welcome Jackson

My due date was April 15, 2012.  Hannah came 4 days early and I was half expecting this baby to also come early.  I didn’t necessarily want him to come early though because my mom was going to be the one to watch Hannah and she was working a lot more than usual the week leading up to my due date.  Also, my doctor, Dr. Ryan Jones, was out of town until the 16th.  I knew it would be fine if a different doctor delivered, but I really liked Dr. Jones and wanted him to be the one to deliver.  My mom’s ideal date was April 13th.  In fact, she called me at 4:37 on Friday, April 13 and told me she was off work and I could go into labor now.  I didn’t.  When my due date came and went I was a little disappointed but it was OK.
 
April 16th - 9:00 AM - The hospital called and told me I was first in line to be induced the next morning.  They said they would call sometime between 6:30 and 8:30 and I would be given a 45 minute heads up to get to the hospital.  Most likely it would be around 9:00.  I had mixed feelings about being induced.  I loved the idea of having an “end” date.  I loved knowing I could have my house clean, bags totally packed and hair done when we left for the hospital.  I LOVED knowing that once I went to the hospital I wouldn’t be sent home and my doctor would for sure be there.  I loved that I wouldn’t have to sit at home for who knows how long wondering if I should be heading to the hospital and if I should be making calls arranging a sitter for Hannah.  I didn’t love the idea of getting the process started artificially.  I feel like babies should come when they’re ready.  Either way, I was ready enough to be done being pregnant so I didn’t turn down the opportunity to be induced.

8:00 PM – My dad came down to get Hannah.  Knowing I was to be induced as early at 7 am the next morning we decided it would be best for Hannah to already be at Grammy and Papa’s house.

April 17th - 12:50 AM - I woke up to an AWFUL cramp in both my sides.  It took a good 10 minutes of massaging for them to be completely gone.  Then I had a hard time falling asleep.  I laid in bed waiting for sleep to come but instead contractions came around 2:00.  They were painful but bearable.  I started timing them with the bedroom clock until about 3:30.  They were about 8 minutes apart.  At 3:30 I got out the computer and pulled up a contraction timer online.  Jonathan woke up around this time.  I could still talk through the contractions however walking hurt.  They continued to be about 6 and 8 minutes apart.

5:30 AM - I texted my mom and said, “I may not need to be induced.  I’ve been having contractions since 2:00.”  She immediately responded in all caps saying “GO TO THE HOSPITAL NOW!!!  IT GOES FASTER THE SECOND TIME AROUND”.  I didn’t feel like they were close enough together or painful enough to justify going to the hospital.  I also wasn’t sure if I’d make it all the way to being induced around 9:00 though.  Luckily, at 6:10 the hospital called, apologized for calling so early, but said they were ready for me and wanted to know if I could be there between 7 and 7:30.  I said absolutely and I had already started having contractions so the timing was perfect.  We gathered up our few loose ends, got ready and headed out.

IMG_7774
7:15 AM - We checked into the hospital.  They were ready for us and we went straight to our room and I got changed.  The nurse, Kelsey, started asking me all the questions and I got my IV going.  At this point I was dilated to a 3.  Kelsey told me I could either get my epidural now or around 9:15 because the anesthesiologist was going in for a c-section and wouldn’t be available until 9:15.  I opted to get it right away.  By 7:40 my legs were numb and I was no longer feeling any contractions.  Around 7:50 Dr. Jones came in and broke my water.  He said I was at a 5.  My contractions had slowed down a little so they went ahead and gave me 4 mg of Pitocin.  I guess you can get an amount anywhere from 4 mg to 20 mg so I got the lowest dose just to keep them coming.  We continued to answer questions and sign papers, make phone calls, and eat jell-o.  The time went by so quickly.
IMG_7778

9:40 AM - I could now feel pressure with each contraction.  They didn’t hurt, but I could tell when I was having them.

10:00 AM - Kelsey came in to check on me and I was now at a 10.  It was go time.  She called Dr. Jones and started prepping the room.  A couple of other nurses also came in.  Dr. Jones got there at 10:08.  I started pushing at 10:11.  I pushed 3 times (10 seconds each push) through the first contraction.  We waited about 2 minutes for my next contraction.  I pushed 3 times again.  Everyone said I was close and I could tell I was close.  I gave another 2 short pushes and he was born at 10:15.  Total time pushing was 4 minutes.  It was kind of a wonderful labor experience. 
Jackson weighed in at exactly 9 pounds.  He was 20 inches long.  Like we did with Hannah, we had all the weight guess on the board.  Jonathan was closest – but we all guessed too small.

IMG_7805
IMG_7781
IMG_7801IMG_7804
5b Hair
IMG_78833 After bath with onesie
We had lots of visitors in the hospital.  Hannah and my parents came first.  I was so excited for Hannah to finally meet Baby Jackson.  Their meeting did not disappoint.  She gave him hugs and kisses and was very interested in all of his features….for about 3 minutes.  Pretty good for a 2 year old.  Then the room and all the people in the room became more interesting.  Once we got home she had an even cuter reaction to him – more on that in a later post.
4 Family of four
IMG_7851IMG_7855
IMG_7864
IMG_7866
Tom and Carrie also came to visit.  Lisa did too – but we didn’t take a picture.
IMG_7889IMG_7898IMG_7903
Welcome to the world Jackson Jonathan!
April 17, 2012
9 pounds
20 inches

11 comments:

Mom said...

Great post Ali, when did you have time to do it? We are so happy to have Jackson in our family and he is very lucky to be a member of your family and have such a wonderful mommy and daddy and adoring big sister! Love you Jackson!!!

Codi said...

Congrats! I am glad that everything went so well! He is adorable!

Pack 160 said...

he is so cute! he looks exactly like your husband. and gray had the same reaction to his baby brother, until he noticed the tv, about 5 minutes later. congrats! -shelby

Bethany Sines said...

OH MY GOSH, he could not be any cuter!!!! that hair! : ) oh Ali, I'm so happy for you!! and a 9 pounder! sheesh, girl, you must be good at pushing!! : )

Rachel Weiler said...

Look at that awesome kid. He's adorable. You all look great and I'm so glad it went so well. Can't wait to meet him. Wahoo Jackson!

Lisa Weiler said...

YAYYY Welcome Jackson! He is such a cutie and very peaceful to hold :)I'm glad the delivery was so smooth

Melissa said...

He's such a cutie! I'm a little jealous that he got so much hair and Easton didn't get any.

I can't wait for Shayla and Hannah to play together at the reunion this year. I think they will enjoy each other.

Doug and Leslie said...

He is just too cute! I'm so glad everything went well

mike said...

Welcome Jack!!!

Love Dad

mike said...

Welcome Jack!!!

Love Dad

DC Diva said...

You got some truly beautiful newborn pics in the hospital! Great lighting. He is SO cute. "I so excited" to meet him!

Mom looks so serious...

I'm so glad you had an easy, smooth delivery. Yay for labor w/ #2!! 10x better!!!

Also, "contraction timer"... online??? Isn't that Jonathan?