Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I HATE THE DENTIST


Reasons I hate the dentist...

  1. I hate the gritty toothpaste.
  2. I hate the forceful flossing.
  3. I hate how they always tell me I don't floss enough.
  4. I hate the rubbery fingers in my mouth.
  5. I hate the hygienist who tries to ask you questions while her fingers are in your mouth.
  6. I hate the warm water that squirts your face.
  7. I hate the suction thing that never gets all the toothpaste grit out.
  8. I hate the X-rays - how the things they stick in your mouth pinch your cheeks.
  9. I hate the taste of fluoride.
  10. I hate how the dentist always tells me to move my tongue - I don't know where to move it to nor how to move it!
  11. I hate how I never know where to look - straight into the dentist's eyes? Up his nose? Do I just close my eyes?
  12. I hate how my teeth hurt for hours afterwards.
  13. I hate the smell.
  14. I hate how I always gag.
  15. I hate the spit I collect in the back of my mouth.

3 years ago my mom called me and told my it was time for my 6 month check up. With all good intentions, I said "I have dental insurance through work, no need for you and dad to pay out of pocket for me, I'll go on my own." 3 years later I have not been to the dentist. I honestly tried to find a dentist but quickly got discouraged and gave up.

Last week I was eating a Starburst (something I do regularly) and it kind of hurt. So I went to the mirror to see what I had stuck in my tooth. To my surprise, I saw that I had a hole in my tooth! Could it be? My first cavity EVER?!?!? I think so. After crying for 45 minutes I have scheduled a dentist appointment. Tomorrow, at 5:00, I will take my "big girl pill" (thanks mom) and face the consequences of ignoring my dental hygiene for 3 years. Wish me luck.

11 comments:

Harley King said...

Good luck, Ali, going to the dentist stinks.

The best dentist I ever went to was in P-town. Look up Matthews Dental Group in the Riverwoods.

Going there was the best thing that happened to my mouth.

Anonymous said...

If you can actually see a hole in your tooth, that might be a problem.

You know everyone hates the dentist. That's why they are all killing themselves.

DC Diva said...

Oh yeah, seriously! That dentist Harley speaks of was AMAZING. They let you listen to music YOU choose thru personal headphones, and they give you laughing gas so you pretty much pass out to sleep or just get really, really light-headed. I imagine it's kind of like being high... and it's great!

Good luck! And don't forget to ask about babies.;)

What is "big girl pill"... I don't get it.

Lisa Weiler said...

i love passionate people who voice their opinions

Mom said...

You'll be fine Ali.
Is it just me or does everyone see dots when they read your blog?

Ali Snow said...

When I cried to mom after I discovered the terribleness that is my life right now she told me to take a big girl pill (basically buck up) I thought it was funny.

DC Diva said...

Ooooohhhh. Big girl pill as opposed to chill pill. That Mom! She's a funny one!

So where's the folo post?

Laurie said...

You are right, the dentist is a horrible place to go. The last time I got a cavity filled about 6 months ago, well it still hurts to chew on that side, so good luck to ya!!

Brianne said...

Okay, Ali you are officially the funniest girl. You put into words what I've been feeling for years. How do you do it!?!

Ashley said...

I also got my first cavity about a year ago. Laaahame. Not that bad though. You'll be fine. Milk this one though, Ali. Call the Relief Society and have them bring you meals after your venture to the dentist.

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

I laughed so hard at the part about not knowing where to look. You are too funny. How did it go anyway? We'll have to talk.