Sunday, November 16, 2008

Spiritual Students

Several people have requested more stories about first grade drama so I thought I’d do another post about my wonderful first graders. However, since it’s Sunday I figured I’d write about their spiritual sides.

Since I teach in Payson, Utah – I have mostly little LDS kids in my class (in fact, I’m pretty sure all but one is LDS). Sometimes they confuse school with Sunday school and mix church and state a little too much.

One little boy (the Bishop’s son) is very spiritual. One day we were talking about finding settings in stories. Their assignment was to pick their favorite setting out the book we read and draw a picture of it. This particular little boy picked Egypt as his favorite setting. In his picture he included Moses and a burning bush.

A few days later we were talking about nouns and we were compiling a list of nouns that started with a “T”. The same little boy came up with tithing.

One of my absolute favorite kids is a little girl who has several handicaps (physical and mental). She can do most of the things but it just takes her a little while longer to process. Also, when she gets really excited she rocks back and forth and shakes her arms. She also talks very loud. She really is the sweetest little girl though and is always SO happy. I love her! Okay, so there’s a little picture for you so now here’s the story – every morning we have “share circle” where 3 kids can sign up to share something during our morning meeting. This girl was really excited to sign up one morning and unfortunately she was gone at speech during share circle so she didn’t get to share. The rest of the morning she was so upset and kept asking when she would get to do her share. After centers I called everyone back into share circle so she could share. This is what she says…

“In primary we are getting ready for our program and we are learning songs and my favorite song is Called to Serve and will everyone stand up and sing it with me and we can march too.”

The best part is all of the kids was like “Oh, I love that song!” and stood up to sing it. The 1 non-member also claimed she knew the song. Don’t worry. We didn’t sing it.

2 comments:

Ryan and Cheryl Harris said...

Such a different culture in your part of the world. Some of my tappers don't even know what Christmas is.

Ashley said...

That is hilarious! Wow. How did you stop them from singing?